PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:43
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Running the wingtip

BP I agree; the AEF thing was never big on my hit list as apart from anything else we spent more time in coaches and 'not flying due something or other' so the experience was not that great.
Compare that to my first visit to a Gliding School (as was) as a 12 year old. Within minutes actually handling a machine and assisting with all those simple yet important tasks that made the operation run. Apart from getting a couple of 'never to be forgotten' rocket like launches in a converted wooden box (MK3) there was dashing off in Landrovers to retrieve and (in those days) the walk back over the airfield. Add to that getting a ride or two in the Austin to the winches to find other Cadets actually driving them. This was the USP of the ATC organisation and also a bit of a secret to the outside world. Before Gliding AE started only Cadets doing their A&B course had experienced this part of our organisation so it was far from well known. It did not need complicated equipment and in fact all of the transport was retired trucks from the RAF, and only the winches had been brand new. This then was 'jewel' in the system and in my case the best part of what the ATC offered. Cadets being mentored by other Cadets and everyone having something to do and contribute to getting the machines flying. We did not need flying suits and helmets, parachutes and headsets, just enthusiasm;with the opportunity to be 'HANDS ON' in going flying. THE BEST SELF DEVELOPING EXPERIENCE EVER INVENTED.