PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:33
Scrotchidson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, LTN is not an impressive airport at all. From today’s stats each of those departures will run on average nearly 20 mins late.
The CAA's stats sadly misleads the public into thinking that each airport contributes wholly to those delay stats when we all know various factors are involved.

LTN needs a thorough revamp of procedures
Procedures don't get changed via online forums and I certainly wouldn't go online and announce that an airline needs to change an SOP without knowing the full details behind why it operates in the way that it does. However, I do have good connections with base captains so I tend to speak with them when I can.

auto frequency changes
With the number of calls on the incorrect frequency for clearances in the morning we get I can only imagine how an auto frequency change will go with traffic entering the LTMA on the wrong frequency...

No, LTN ATC management and LTN airport management should be getting a grip of it and going to NATS instead telling us to “turn left, hold A4.” Pause....... “contact ground blah”. ATC may be doing their best but this type of change has to be pushed through by airport managers.
ATC work together with Airport Managers but they do not push through ATC procedures. The guys & gals up there are also a friendly bunch and visits are always welcome from those flying in and out. It's a better way to understand each other.

but the resistance to change shown on this thread is why delays at Luton and operational efficiencies are only going to get worse
Any examples?

Luton's a unique airport and with the current infrastructure and space available it is what it is. Compared to 5 years ago the place has transformed and procedurally has become a lot more efficient but that takes time and man power. New procedures don't get written overnight and money is need to make those efficiencies happen, for example enabling A1, C1, H1, B1 to become CAT III holds. You also need to control the amount of change to protect everyone within the operation because when people make mistakes, not matter what role they are in within aviation, there's always someone holding the safety accountabilities.