PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security at LHR... A true story?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 05:36
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you, it has already happened, in Algeria earlier this year (think that is right). Three guys burst into the flight deck of a 737 and began beating up the pilots. The only thing to save the situation was that they did not close the door behind them so the cabin crew managed to pull them out. Imagine if they were actual terrorists and planned an attack, doing it right. What defences do we have against that? Obviously not the airport security, which is so far beyond stupid they need another word to describe it. Makes you wonder why seemingly intelligent people set up and run such an insane system. Don't they see it does not work and never will? The only people who can make a difference is the crew. The first line of defence is the cabin crew, who must know that they are the only ones who can stop a hijack or attack by a crazy. Of course the authorities have made it difficult, since the crew cannot have any weapons while the attacker is free to take on what he wants (I saw a cooking show and a knife that does not show on xray is used by top chefs that is way sharper than a metal one...shudder). Have any of you cabin crew been given training in defending the cabin? Didn't think so. Hint, a can of beans in a sock can put the bad guy down.

Even the TSA has to admit that almost as many guns are getting through as did when Argenbrite was running the show, so all the hype and expense is a total waste of effort. It reminds me of the "war" on drugs (or terror), which can also never be won, but gives government the opportunity to build up their power and influence, using my tax dollars. The second line of defence is the cockpit crew who must never under any circumstances, let any criminal onto the flight deck. Anything happens, throw the bolt and cut off comms with the cabin, land at nearest airport. Let the police handle it.

The real problem was that after Sep 11 the authorities had a chance to do it right and blew it. They decided to treat all of us as if WE were the problem, instead of the ones who needed to be protected. The real criminals are laughing on their way through "security" while the children, old ladies and crew are given the treatment.

Bah humbug says I.