PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:51
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Good post FlightDeck. Just to pick up a couple of quick themes.

Originally Posted by FightDeck
What really impressed me was the accountability of each individual training or senior check captain in Short haul.

The onus was equal on trainer and trainee. In fact I would go as far as saying it’s greater on the trainer provided the student has prepared and has the right attitude.
This is how it is in long haul.

Originally Posted by FightDeck

A failure rate that high from SO to FO in Shorthaul would not be acceptable.

Suspect the S/Os who failed have been in the backseat for some time.
Upgrade from S/O to F/O on the A330 is currently 17 years so your ‘some time’ comment is accurate.

I’m not sure there is any direct comparison possible with SH in terms of 17 year S/O upgrading to 737 F/O but certainly the stats I’ve seen across the fleets and and across the years indicate the longer the time spent as a S/O, the more difficult the upgrade pathway. Sometimes exponentially so.

Training dynamics, preparation, training methodologies, engaging with different learning styles, etc, has long been a hobby of mine with tertiary studies and external experiences geared towards that also. There’s great discussion to be had about all of those subjects (and more). Sadly though I won’t be engaging on those discussions on PPRUNE given my closeness to some of the individuals being discussed. I’d hate for my comments to be construed as a direct comment on any individual circumstances.

Anyway, with a few more F/O trainees still in the system we’ll see how the numbers pan out.

Last edited by Keg; 23rd May 2018 at 01:01.