Thread: Missing yacht
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:35
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox3WheresMyBanana
Gipsy Queen. If you're going to be pedantic, at least get it right

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...17chapter4.pdf

and your qualifications are...? In need of refreshing, at the very least.
I was searching for something wholly unrelated when I and stumbled across this long-dead topic. It is now exactly four years later that, just for the hell of it, I'm responding to what I am sure will be an empty ether but here goes - it could be interesting to see if anything happens.

Not for a moment would I dispute that my knowledge needs updating. I last read the Air Navigation Order at its 1974 amendment adoption - I have been retired from commercial flying for a while! However, this publication confirmed my interpretation of the Mayday position. More recently, I have logged more than 17,000NM as a yacht owner and held a RYA/DTp Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate with Ocean Endorsement. Regs. appertaining thereto substantially are the same as above. The sources you have cited are domestic to the USA and not universally adopted as international standards like SOLAS and others. For that reason I am ignorant of North American practises which seldom are in harmony with the rest of the world. The "Red right returning" dictum (contrary to IALA stipulations) is typical of this insularity.