PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TriStars to fly again?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:39
RAFEngO74to09

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Possible Employment On Ex-RAF Tristars

Now that I'm a US Citizen and full-time share trader from home, I've been taking a keen interest in Tempus Applied Solutions (TMPS) after it acquired the ex-RAF Tristars.

Once it has recruited the requisite aircrew and groundcrew, TMPS should have no problem getting a DoD contract to provide "probe and drogue" refueling capacity. With the ongoing KC-46 entry to service delays - and the entire USN / USMC KC-130T fleet grounded after the mid-air break up accident in 2017 - anything that can be done to relieve the burden on the USAF of providing "probe and drogue" refueling with primarily "flying boom" assets is likely to be taken up. TMPS's only competitor is Omega who has had no problem getting ongoing contracts continuously since 2008 worth over $266M so far. Omega has less capacity than TMPS and there is clearly room in the sector for both.

TMPS already has DoD contracts for special mission support (ISR, EW training and C2 comms relay) https://www.tempus-as.com/fly-bespoke-services.php

It will therefore already be known to USAF / USN military retirees as an employment option. However, if the former US military personnel all decide to go the airlines that might open up the possibility of an EB-3 Visa for ex-RAF Tristar personnel if the company offers employment on the basis that suitably skilled US workers could not be sourced in the required timescale. The EB-3 confers Permanent Resident status which can be upgraded to US Citizenship after the requisite timescale.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...reference-eb-3

Interestingly, some ex-RAF groundcrew recently enquired about employment on Facebook and got a positive response. Here is the exchange:
[groundcrew 1] "Are you looking for ex RAF personnel with extensive knowledge of working on these aircraft. Ten years plus myself and plenty of other ex 216 Sqn members about."
[TMPS POC] "Yes ! Please e-mail me your information to [email protected] "
[groundcrew 1] "Will do"
[groundcrew 2] "I have 9 years as a rigger. Take me too ! I was part of the team that took them to Bruntingthorpe"

As an extremely happy expat living the dream, I just thought I would put the possibility out there for anyone who is interested in the US lifestyle and the role rather than the money.

Feel free to PM me about US versus UK living generally, major cost differences, lifestyle, taxes etc.

Other PPRruNers will be more qualified than I to point out the hoops that would have to be jumped through regarding licensing etc . On the groundcrew side, I don't imagine there is a queue around the block of spare L-1011 engineers in the US.

Last edited by RAFEngO74to09; 22nd May 2018 at 23:51.