PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of life USA/EU (Easyjet/BA/Ryanair)
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:54
SextanteUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterboy
I certainly wouldn’t recommend BA. Post Brexit, who knows? Except that it won’t be better. I live in Spain, and can tell you not to work here....but you would know that anyway-unless you can wangle a slot flying Ortega around .

I would stay put.
Yeah man, Spain is out of the question for me, Love my roots and my memories, but aviation there is depressing.

Originally Posted by dlcmdrx
Why would you do such a stupid thing.

It is very clear you really dont appreciate the enormous privilege youve had in being an outsider and having the right to work in that aviation heaven called the US.

Im a spaniard also with FAA license but no right to work in the US yet and just telling you, you would be crazy to get back to europe.

US is the pinacle of aviation, maybe some people in BA, Lufhtansa or Iberia which live in a bubble will tell you otherwise and that the country stinks to fried food but they dont know what real live is like. And that is the best case, in the worst case you end up at EZY/RYR or so earning 100k a year for a miserable roster and 90 hours a month..

Dont listen to those calling you retard and take your parents to the us, get into Fedex or the so and earn 400k a year and laugh all the way to the bank at all the EU pilot loosers who think USA is a bad country.

In any case make sure you secure your citizenship first, you can always come back after that if you decide to screw up. It must be a blast having that blue eagle Passport.
Oh I see, is it really that clear?. You couldn't even imagine how much I appreciate my privilege, and what I've done to get here. But thanks for the aviation thoughts and perspective.

Originally Posted by EMB-145LR
I did exactly what you are contemplating. I left a US regional three years ago to join BA on the A320. A lot of those commenting don't appreciate the US pilots lifestyle. I am happier here than I have ever been because I live near family and I am home most nights. My life in the US consisted almost exclusively of four day trips. Some people love that, but it wasn't for me.

This is a very personal choice. For me, being at home was a very big deal. I think we're at a point where wages will have to rise in Europe too, certainly in the west. They won't hit the dizzying heights of the US majors, but once you factor in all of the costs that come out of your pay over there (insurance, tax, 401K etc) you're not that far off. A good friend of mine is a Captain at JetBlue. As you may know they have an agreement in principle for a new contract. He worked out his take home pay under the new deal, and while on paper the gross amount far exceeds what a BA captain makes, once he'd paid all of his deductions he was only receiving about 50% of the headline amount. That in turn was not much greater than a BA captain's take home pay.

If you plan to commute, I'd stay in the US. But if you want to live in base and you can be near family, do what is best for YOU. No one here can tell you what you really want, only you can.
Thanks man, I appreciate your advice.

I know lot of people out there don't understand the family part, but for me is huge. At the same time money is a huge factor as well, so that I can take care of them....so it's a thin line really.

My asian friend tells me to be East Coast based and to commute to Europe. Here is easy to get some 14-15 days off per month, so it'd be doable short term, but long-term it must be a hard.