PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Future Pilot Programme 2018
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:11
thisishomebrand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuHa

The first example shown on the Cut-e Spatial Orientation Youtube video is correct.
The GYRO indicates in which direction the aircraft flies, while the RBI shows which direction the non directional beacon is located in always relative to the flight direction/longitudinal axis of the aircraft.

Regarding the Youtube Video, had you put the aircraft in position 8, it would have meant that the non directional beacon was at NW, and not SE as the RBI shows.
Just think it this way: the GYRO shows the aircraft is flying South, so you choose the aircraft pointing down. Then the RBI shows the non directional beacon (the centre) is at SE, which basically means it is behind (South) and on the right (East) of the aircraft. The correct position is therefore position number 4.

Other example: GYRO says North and RBI says North West. You select the aircraft pointing up North, then the RBI saying NW tells you that the non directional beacon is above (North) and on the left (West) of the aircraft. Therefore the correct position is the number 4.

The explanation is certainly not one of the bests and can be confusing but hopefully this helps you.
That make so much more sense than their explanation. I think given my rush to finish the tests before my holiday I may have done it completely wrong.