PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Effect of lift at rotation in a crosswind
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:51
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effect of lift at rotation in a crosswind

Thanks in advance for anyone that may be able to give some clarity to this conundrum I am facing.

I was chatting to a colleague recently about rotating a sweptwing aircraft which is subjected to a crosswind component and the what effect the rotation has on lift due to the requirement to feed in more aileron on rotation, in order to keep the wings level. I understand that the upwind wing will generate more lift due to the direction of the relative wind and obviously that at rotation, the increase in the angle of attack will increase the amount of lift that is generated.

- Is there a difference to the proportion of extra lift generated by the upwind wing during rotation compared to before rotation and does the deflection of into wind aileron aileron affect this difference?

- As the flow of the relative wind is no longer aligned with the chord wise flow, what is the effect on the lift that is generated by a wing, when this angle increases in turn with the component of spanwise flow.

I dug out my ATPL notes from many years ago and had a look online for some wisdom but could not find any clarity!

Thanks