PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney ATIS: DO NOT PASS THRU ASSIGNED RWY CL
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:43
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney ATIS: DO NOT PASS THRU ASSIGNED RWY CL

An interesting question came up recently,

Sydney ATIS usually states: DO NOT PASS THRU ASSIGNED RWY CL

The question is this: once assigned a radar vector towards the runway centreline (ie for “base”), but not yet cleared to intercept the localiser, should one make a pilot intercept of the localiser anyway, in the event a further heading and instruction to intercept is not provided? Such as in the event of frequency congestion, or distraction (eg another aircraft declaring an emergency), or simple ATC forgetfulness?

One argument is “Lost Comms” procedures, which provide an answer, but maintaining the last vector for 2 mins could take you through the centreline.

Another argument is that for parallel runway ops, the statement on the ATIS is there to tell you not to EVER fly through the centreline regardless of the reason.

And a further argument is that this statement on the ATIS is simply provided to remind pilots not to overshoot during a normally cleared localiser intercept. Not for any other reason.

And occasionally, I have had Director intentionally take me through the centreline, for sequencing.

So I have heard three different pilot interpretations.

For what it’s worth, as a pilot, I know what I would do, but I am interested in the ATC expectation.

Anyone in Sydney Director or ATC care to comment?

Last edited by Derfred; 22nd May 2018 at 14:50.