PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:19
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear
The barking mad plan to build a tinminal in a cul-de-sac! I fondly remember the then Airport Director barking at me for my cynicism!

The original plan was of course for an additional tunnel to the north that would have exited along Frank Lester Way. That was design engineered out of the plans for financial reasons. In effect, a circular one way system.
ABSOLUTELY!!! The aspect of life driven by bean counters that I enjoy the most is reflected in the old saying: "Cheap - is Dear". When you cut back on something to save money, almost inevitably, it costs you more in the long run. For the original bean counters - it is a 'Win' as they save money but everyone after them has to spend more to compensate. In this particular case, as the North tunnel would now be VERY expensive, they cannot do it - but have to spend ever more amounts of money to try and offset the original bad choice. The same goes for the link to the railway station, now costing more than it would have done originally.

I appreciate that predictions of numbers were difficult but the short term attitude of modern Britain is writ large across LTN.