PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot-hungry airlines are raiding flight schools
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:54
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I recall Flight magazine often having no jobs - there were none in the world, well not that needed to be advertised. Then there was the week there was one job, and the anecdotal result which would be in the jokes section if it were not so un-funny.

Harassed Chief Pilot finds a foot high pile of applications on his desk. He bins half of them.

"The last thing I need is unlucky pilots."

That was a painful time. British Eagle had gone and I was eyeing the Sunday Times' 8th page ad. It had a picture of a T tail and some happy crews. My heart sank. I had just breezed through my ALTP (ATPL) having had some years of flying behind me, including the BAC 1-11, but I did not qualify for the job. My basic postwar education was nowhere near the requirements. Then I saw it . . .

The job was for aircraft cleaners.

70 is the new 50? There's a lot of good blokes out there who are too old for command. They carry years of experience and many of them could show the youngsters a thing or two in the gym. Cut off at 70? I can hear the snarls from here.