PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 02:01
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_SNAFU
It used to be when you would get the SO out at 5000 that if they could get you to 20 miles 250kts at 5000 then job done. (Add a few miles for 330) If they could do that consistently then FO training became about 5k down as opposed to know where it is about TOD down. The 20k limit does absolutely nothing to help advance or keep any semblance of skill.

When the increased heights came in I do recall discussing with a number of trainers whether we'd see a 'spike' in troubles with F/O trainees in the future due to lack of familiarity/ currency in getting the jet to 5000. It certainly places a lot more workload on the trainee if they've not had that exposure. Even with my own F/O training a couple of decades ago now, having previously had exposure to getting the aeroplane to 3,000' (as it was back then) on my previous aircraft type meant that I had a bit more spare brain space to concentrate on that last 3,000' on my new one- I certainly needed every bit of spare brain space I could get!

I’m not sure about sector numbers compared to the 737 anymore but it used to be significantly different.....
737 does 28 from Stage 2 including the check*. A330 does 22 including the check.

(*Presumes base training for both).

Or the tendency if your aimpoint is at the end of 1000’ markers as many teach the chance of landing short is dramatically increased which the sim doesn’t adequately prepare you for. (Landing short is a big no no in training) it is probably little wonder why some struggle.
I find that 737 pilots are far more likely to land short than a former LH pilot upgrading from S/O. The S/O has at least been looking at the longer aim point from the back seat and doesn't have an old mental picture to fall back on.

It also must be remembered that people generally do not fail for one reason. A pattern generally develops.
For sure!