PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2018, 21:49
ANCDU

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE][The problem with SO to A330 FO Conversion is that Qantas give no consideration to the fact that SO’s haven’t effectively flown for many years./QUOTE]
Not many years? you are looking around 15 odd years for some in the backseat of the 744 who are choosing to upgrade now.. You have new hires joining the company that are more qualified and recent for an upgrade.
There is a problem with the promotional system in Qantas when a pilot can wait this long before upgrading. I get the personal choice and circumstances argument, but sitting in the easy seat and riding the gravy train for that long you are setting yourself up for a difficult time. You would think an airline like Qantas would make allowances for this.
I realize things have been stagnant but pilots of this seniority could have had the opportunity to upgrade years ago as there has been opportunities (737, 767!, LWOP,Jetstar MOU) for pilots , admittedly maybe not a widebody FO but don’t we join an airline to fly?
I feel for the difficult time these pilots are going through, but they have been set up by the promotional and award system we work under. It’s something both the company and AIPA need to look into, because it’s going to happen a lot of training of SO’s with similar seniority increases.

oh and I’m happy we are starting to get a new fleet...slowly