PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2018, 05:44
Beer Baron

Received 157 Likes on 50 Posts
I don’t know about you BB, but I’m growing tired of plans. I’d like to see some orders.

November is 10 years since Joyce become CEO.

ZERO orders for mainline in that time. Oh, but we have had Jetstar HK, RedQ, billion dollar losses, a grounding, terminal decline, AJ going cap-in-hand to the govt for a multi-billion unsecured loan, the splitting of the AOC’s, more CEO’s, less CEO’s and an amazing recovery that just so happened to deliver millions in LTIP benefits (it’s not share price manipulation, but I reckon you could see it from there...)
I totally agree with you. The last 10 years have been a disaster. Each time they canceled or deferred 787 orders was crushing, while at the same time watching them pour money into other entities or sometimes straight down the drain was almost unbearable.

But FINALLY some of those orders are becoming deliveries. Not as many as I’d like, I think we should be expanding the fleet not just maintaining current levels. Yet a fleet renewal is happening and the talk is about what new types and routes are next as opposed to all we used to hear was what route is to be cut next.

So the cry of “Qantas need a new fleet” has been entirely justified for the last 10 years but I’m just surprised it is reaching a crescendo just as it seems a new fleet is materialising.