PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Hornet Moth incident report
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 13:52
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
This crosswind caused the aircraft to veer to the left, which was corrected, but then theaircraft veered to the right. The pilot reported applying full opposite rudder and braking but the turn developed into a ground loop, after which the aircraft came to a halt with the left landing gear collapsed. Both occupants were wearing full harnesses and escaped uninjured
. The year was 1957. I was a RAAF QFI at the time instructing on Lincolns at Darwin in Australia when the local aero club asked me to check out some of their members on the club Hornet Moth. It had pointed wing tips.

I was given a few circuits to familiarise myself with the aircraft then started to train club members. I noticed it was very touchy on the rudder once the tail was lowered. With only 45 minutes on type I was to learn the hard way. One club member needed refresher circuits. The blind leading the blind as it turned out. In those days Darwin runway was 10,000 feet long and 45 metres wide to cater for large overseas aircraft like the Douglas Globemaster, Avro Vulcans, Super Connies and their ilk. My 50 year old student kept landing well to the left of the centreline during touch and go landings. In exasperation, as he again touched down well left, I said he really must aim for the centreline next time.He said sorry and while rolling down the runway seconds after touch down, he promptly applied right rudder to head for the centre line. He lost control and we did a huge ground loop. The brake lever and throttle (?) were on his left door if I recall, and there was SFA I could do to reach it to prevent the ground loop, except to turn off the ignition switch which I recall was behind my seat. The only damage was to the fabric of the right lower main plane wing tip. I recall feeling quite helpless once the ground loop started as I knew there was nothing I could do with no controls on my side. That said, I must admit it was a gentle and graceful ground loop which was through around 360 degrees and we finally stopped without damage other than torn fabric. .

Last edited by Centaurus; 20th May 2018 at 14:06.