PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 FO windshield blowout
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 07:03
shimin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part II: How and what is the first roll you everyone
Narratage: When the windshield burst, the inner of plane lost pressure, a series of chain reactions followed, and inside environment changed rapidly.
Liu Chuanjian: The biggest change is the strong wind blowing on me and the feeling of tearing on my face.
Anchor: Like a knife cut?
Liu Chuanjian: No, I felt that my whole body totally distorted.
Anchor: can the eyes open?
Liu Chuanjian: I can open my eyes.
Anchor: Did you wear sunglasses?
Liu Chuanjian: Sure, at the time, the whole plane was shaking violently, but no sounds. (My understanding: Liu means a totally weird silence). Seconds later, (the noises) comes suddenly and terrible loud.
Anchor: The whole fuselage?
Liu Chuanjian: Yes, the whole fuselage is shaking, I am unable to read the instruments. All of them are shaking.
Anchor: Is there any indication on the instrument? Do all the functions still exist?
Liu Chuanjian: My side (of the instruments) works. The issue is that I was not sure it was right.
Anchor: Why can't be sure?
Liu Chuanjian: A lot of equipment did not work after the blasting, the electronic display system told me the failure. There were countless failure indications on two inside screens. The two displays were filled in with all info of malfunction. (My understanding Liu means the two ECAMs).
Narratage: At a height of nearly 10,000 meters, eight hundred kilometers per hour, the right windshield broken a big hole, the intense strong wind is blowing everyone and everything into a flat. The flight control panel (FCU) is blown away, many flight instruments are not used normally, and the whole plane is jittering. All this happened to the cockpit then did into the cabin. At that time, Second Captain Liang Peng was resting in the cabin.
Liang Peng: It's straight to me is seeing the door opened.
Anchor: which door do you mean?
Liang Peng: Cockpit door.
Anchor: The door next to the cabin?
Liang Peng: Yes.
Anchor: Is it open?
Liang Peng: It's gone. Such a strong wind power.
Bi Nan (Cabin Purser): There was a howling and bumping at the same time. All the oxygen masks in the cabin fell off.
Anchor: Automatically?
Bi Nan: Yes.
Narratage: After took off nearly an hour, the plane was on the cruise level but suddenly started to bump with the blow of a strong airflow. Like a dust storm, the plane blew open, the cabin suddenly darkened, the noise sounded and the passengers screamed, the plane quickly dropped. A lot of things are blown down the floor of the cabin.
Passenger: Suddenly the lights went black, the stewardess and the trolley flew up into air, and then fell down again. With a bang, the plane flew down and all the lights went out, including each row of oxygen masks.
Narratage: Many passengers could hardly believe their eyes in the face of the oxygen mask that suddenly landed in front of them. The disaster scenes that were seen in the movie blockbusters were really happening in front of their eyes.
Anchor: Have you ever met this situation before?
Bi Nan: Never met.
Anchor: People encountered such a sudden emergency situation; every mood should be different?
Bi Nan: You're too late at this time (too try do our best to soothe them). I only know that I want to ensure the safety of my passengers and my team members. If I panic and mess up, then what else do they do? I only tell passengers through the PA to tell them how they do it. I tell them to pull the mask down, cover the mask at the mouth and nose, fasten the seat belt, and listen to further our command.
Anchor: Other flight attendants?
Bi Nan: They are on the same page. Loudly yelling the standard instruction, slapping the back of seats, making passengers fasten their seat belts. They make sure everyone does cover both his noses and mouth to breathe and soothe the passengers.
Anchor: How do you soothe the passengers?
Bi Nan: A passenger cramped, may be nervous. The attendant had been helping him, massaging all the time, giving him relaxation, and another passenger is crying. The attendant clapped his shoulder, holding his hand, giving him confidence.
Narratage: Nearly ten thousand meters high, a big hole in the cockpit, make the other two other fatal consequences. One is low temperature, and the other, after the loss of pressure, the air, it quickly leads to the hypoxia in the cockpit.
Anchor: Talking about this cold, if it is shown by temperature, it may be about many below the zero?
Liu Chuanjian: At our cruise level of 9,800 meters, according to theory, it should be more than 40 degrees below zero.
Anchor: More than 40 degrees below zero?
Liu Chuanjian: Yes.
Anchor: But normally, you should not wear too thick.
Liu Chuanjian: Yes, usually.
Anchor: So, is it?
Liu Chuanjian: Yes, like today (Liu is in short dress of uniform during the interview). In fact, the normal cabin temperature is to about 24 degrees, so the same cockpit temperature. That is a comfortable temperature for human.
Anchor: When the temperature drops from +20 degrees to -40 degrees, will the operation of the whole limb be greatly affected?
Liu Chuanjian: I had no feeling on cold in the early stage, because I was too nervous at the beginning, and my muscles were very tense. I really didn't feel the cold attack.
Anchor: Do you wear an oxygen mask?
Liu Chuanjian: Yes, our daily training includes the practice as I have just said. I want to tell you the real world is totally different. I wanted to put my oxygen mask on, but I couldn’t put it on.
Anchor: Why?
Liu Chuanjian: The wind is so strong that I can't get anything out of (the storage box). I can't get it out.
Anchor: Can't you wear it?
Liu Chuanjian: No.
Anchor: No oxygen mask for you? What means for you according to your best knowledge?
Liu Chuanjian: Frankly speaking, I didn't realize the problem of hypoxia by that moment. What was full in my mind was only one thing. To control the aircraft well.
Anchor: It depends entirely on the ability of the challenge the limit, right?
Liu Chuanjian: Yes, I can tell you, by the moment when I finally landing, I thought it should be called willpower, I think this is a very accurate word, willpower, very appropriate.
Narratage: But willpower can't last too long. People have physiological limits. How do they succeed in every step and finally to the safe landing?

Last edited by shimin; 20th May 2018 at 07:13. Reason: grammar