PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 FO windshield blowout
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 05:57
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
shimin,

I thank you for keeping us all so well informed. There is no need for you to apologise for your use of English, you are doing what few other people could do.

Like many others on this thread, I can only applaud and congratulate the crew on how well they reacted in such an astonishing event. To have an explosive decompression is bad enough, but for it to be a windscreen, to have the co-pilot sucked half out of the aircraft, to have the mode select panel and automatics so badly damaged AND to be over such high mountains makes this a truly unique event. That was real flying!

I once had a windcreen crack. It was the main load-bearing layer but, with five layers, the other four held. We were halfway between Nairobi and Entebbe in the middle of the night. When the glass broke it sounded like a twelve-bore shot gun going off in the cockpit. It was dark and it took us some time to find out what had happened - but the 'startle effect' was profound. Fortunately in our case nothing untoward happened and we descended and returned to Nairobi.

The shock for the Chinese crew must have been dreadful - but they coped magnificently. I salute Captain Liu and his crew.