PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2018, 13:54
Dsrsia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came across another Arnold file at the PRO Kew reporting on Course 42A and the initial days at Cochran Field, Macon. The course arrived 5 days before start date so Day one was devoted to drill a.m & p.m. Very hot conditions so between drills allowed to fall out & change kit BUT no showers available until 2100hrs. Upper class was required to haze newcomers and initiate them into the Cadet rules. Indeed the report states that the Officers encouraged the Upper Class to haze effectively and remarks that in the past the Upper Class had been exempt from flying for up to one week to ensure max hazeing. Example of Cadet rules were ' Sit on only 3 inches of the form at meals. No talking. Looking nowhere except at the plate. Confined to rooms when not on duty.'
Quote This method of dealing with the British Students drove them to the point of exasperation. Report concludes that the situation was not helped by no flying taking place and the absence of an RAF liaison Officer at Macon. It was felt that a tactful word from him to the Officers may have resulted in a less antagonistic attitude to the Students view of their initiation into Basic School. Last comment was hazeing at the School has now been abolished.
Another report on Dothan states that there was only one Nav Instructor for 150 pupils. The RAF Officer writes 27 Oct 1941 that '' In a recent visit to various Army Schools I have gained the impression from the Students that the only worry is the prospect of elimination and as regards that very little can be done as the Training Authorities refuse to alter their standards in anyway. Elimination has now dropped progressively otherwise I find that the Students are not unduly troubled by the by the strict discipline and this is because the present intake have been put fully in the picture before they came over. ''