PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach Climb gradient and missed approach requirements
Old 19th May 2018, 05:47
Pjotr Iljitsch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning all,

I’ve read now pretty much all the threads on pprune regarding gradients, acceleration, flap retraction & thrust reduction during the missed approach OEI & AEO.

I especially enjoyed and learned alot from many posts from tullamarine, aterpster, opendes, flightpathobn, rudddrrudderrat and others. Thank you for that!
Anyway, some questions haven’t been answered jet: Is the 2.4% gradient an average? tullamarine mentioned in one of his posts, that it depends on the source one is referring to and maybe on the understanding or translation of the words…In my case, I would refer to Pans Ops I&II and EASA (as I’m working for a german operator), where it says in the construction part that the gradient is a nominal gradient (tan Z). Therefore I don’t think it’s average?!?
If it’s not average, and it needs to be met during the intermediate and final missed approach phase (because the approach is construced so), that gradient should be calculated (by the pilot) at the missed approach altitude or the defined altitude on the IAC. So what is the sense in LPCNG and AI documentation in computing the gradient at airport pressure level?

In my previous outfit, credo was (a bit simplyfied): - missed approach all engines operating: published, reduce thrust, accelerate and clean up at missed approach altitude, MSA, or published acceleration altitude (e.g. many french airports), whichever comes first.

- missed approach OEI: follow (take off-) engine fail procedure, reduce thrust, accelerate and clean up at missed approach altitude, MSA or published acceleration altitude (e.g. many french airports), whichever comes first.

In my opinion, that was quite solid, as our ops engineers analysed all runways, etc. to develop the engine fail routings…

Hole different story in my new company…they let the pilots the choise between published and EFP, no mention at all of acceleration and thrust reduction altitudes in any books, and so on. Hence imho even more important to know for the pilots the calculation methods and requirements behind all that stuff to be able to determine whether I can fly the approach or not, where to accelerate and to reduce and which go around procedure to follow in case of…
So the 2nd the question: If the IAC says „using XXX minimum, 3.5% required up to 3000ft“, in my opinion, in LPCNG, the gradient should be calculated at 3000ft and consequently thrust reduction and acceleration should be at 3000ft?!?

One last thing, I found that those kind of question appear here on pprune and in other forums evers 4 years or so. Is that a lack of good education ;-)
Thank you all!