PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dinner in Akrotiri Mess
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 21:08
cavuman1

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Wink Major Munchies for Lamb, Pita, and Tzatziki

The Oberon, obviously a refined gentleman of excellent taste, is not the only one longing for the above-mentioned flavorsome treat! I am from Atlanta, Georgia, and well remember a landmark event in 1967 when an enterprising young Greek opened a restaurant on Peachtree Street called the Gyro Wrap. Greek being greek to most Atlantans, the populace, who loved the menu and food quality, instead of properly pronouncing YEE-RO, called the place the GY-RO WARP. As in "Let's go on over to the Gyro Warp an' get us some of that lamb with Kon-Tiki sauce!" That place is still in business more than fifty years later.

One of my finest high school friends was Greek; his father, originally from Tripolis, owned a thriving chain of "greasy spoons" in and around Atlanta. His delightful mother, also a native of the Cradle of Democracy, cooked wonderful delicacies including dolmades and spanakopita. She had a massive kitchen at home which included a ten-burner gas stove, four ovens, and a walk-in 'fridge/freezer. No one ever left that house hungry!

Keep those recipe ideas coming, ladies and gentlemen. I think the secret to a great gyro is that compressed (?) lamb that one carves off in thin sheets, but I don't know what it's called or where in Cincinnati to procure it.

- Ed