PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 13:39
Danny42C

Stumbling around looking for something else, came across (Page 117 #2335) <Army Air Corps Cadet, Pilots and Instructors: WWII Flight Training>, (Link Posted by Chugalug 18/2/12). Worth a read,

It would seem that the civilian instructors at Carlstrom were in an outfit called
...The CPTP (Civilian Pilot Training Program) and a large network of civilian flight schools under contract to the US Air Corps, as well as conducting training in its own schools...
This seems to have had its own "wings": my Bob Greer would presumably have been a member. After Pearl Harbor, they were commissioned as reserve officers in the USAAC. I suppose they would be 1st or 2nd "Lootenants": it is entirely reasonable that their pay as former civilians would be much the same as a starting 1/Lt.

And how much would that be? Here I must admit that a lot of my cherished beliefs have been Googled and Wiki'ed into the bin. Item: an Aviation Cadet
did not get the $200 pm I spoke of. He got only $75 pm ($50 + $25 Flight Pay), which is only twice as much as ours at dollar a day.

(Question: how would he have been able to "save enough out of his [six] months pay for a substantional deposit on a new automible ?")

Item: a starter 1/Lt got $166 + 50% = $249.

[Auth: Google <rates of pay usaaf officers in 1941>, select:
<U.S. Army WWII Pay Scale - Forums At The Military Horse
https://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9760>]

Which is not the $300 I assumed - but he was doing all right all the same !

There must be some of these "on frequency" still alive, who could give us the 'gen' - Please ?

~~~~~~~~~~~

FED (#12047),

I reckon it should be 143.71%, which is not far from my rough 150:1 for UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Octane (#12049),

Ours had a natty blue fuselage, yellow wings and a blue and striped tail. The young Danny could hop in better then than he could now (you'd need a hoist, I'm afraid !)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny.