PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Permanent Resident Visa
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 21:58
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Buswinker
My understanding is Jetstar are usually a bit more desperate so a little more willing to move on that. Had a mate a couple of years ago flying for them who was only an NZ resident (although he was an Australian permanent resident so there’s a reciprocal thing going on which may make a difference). He’s now at Virgin (in auckland) with another Aussie I know, who will also currently not be a permanent resident
If they’re an Aussie they have the right to live and work in NZ, just as we do in Australia. I’m not up to speed with the technical terms, I gather kiwis in Aus get some sort of special visa, so assume it’s the same on our end, but the bottom line is Kiwis and Aussie’s can work in either side of the ditch with no real barriers.

As for the OP, it’s quite simple. You need to get NZ residency to work for Air NZ. Either through family, a partner or apply via the points system. Pilot is not (yet) on the skilled shortage list and Air NZ do not offer visa sponsorship.

I believe the main reason why you need Permanent residency rather than just a working visa is because the former is, well, permanent. A working visa has a set time limit I believe.