PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 20:23
consub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
( guessing you meant "Cross talk was not even considered"

The inter board (backplane I surmise) random wiring may be what allowed it to work.

"Way back when" I used wire wrap proto boards (socket for each IC) and found out the hard way that neatly bundled routing, Manhattan no direct cross country, greatly increased crosstalk compared to random 'rats nest' routing.

I once made everything start working by dropping a single ferrite bead over the clock driver pin (before adding the wires) to slow edge rate enough to damp reflections.
This was with a 66Mhz clock which is the upper limit for wire wrap.
The reason that "birds nest wiring" was used for the backplane wiring on the AICU was indeed to prevent crosstalk.
I carried out a prom change at Cassablanca just days before the C of A flight, and used a prom blower that I carried out from Filton in my hand baggage together with boxes of proms, i remember the strange reaction by the customs man , until someone rescued me by telling him that I was taking them straight through to air side for Concorde. I programmed the proms by selecting the switches for the 8 bits of the line in the program for that particular prom, and then pressing the "blow" button that destroyed the fusible links in the input circuits of the prom. Of course all 64 lines of program in the prom that was changing had to be blown, even if only one line of program was changing. I carried out the programming on all 8 AICUs in 201, and the prom boards were laid out on a desk in the Air France office. Andre Turcat popped in to see what I was doing.

Last edited by consub; 17th May 2018 at 20:27. Reason: ommission