PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Fund B-52 Engine Replacement
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 17:02
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KenV

It looks like USAF is genuinely serious about this engine replacement program for B-52 and putting the infrastructure in place to make it happen. The only thing lacking at this point is the funding. And if I read the tea leaves right Congress supports the program and will find and authorize the funds.
Agree that the timing seems right- congress and the administration do not seem to be at all concerned about deficit spending at this time, and plenty of talk about the need to "improve" the military.

I do get that B-1 and B-2 bed down/phase out are part of the long term plans, but think the USAF and congress will need to get serious about that for funding and credibility sake. It will take some time to ensure the B-21's are up and running, but it looks like there will be period where FOUR bomber programs are up and running. That does get expensive.

I note here that Ellsworth, Dyess and Whiteman are likely slated to be the three B-21 bases, which seems like a natural transition of the types at those bases. Minot and Barksdale remain with the B-52. Air Force picks 3 bases for new B-21 Raider bomber - Business Insider The magic will be in the timing, and if/how many upgrades the B-1 and B-2 will need to keep them going. A slip is B-21 fielding could be costly in many ways, and doubt anyone wants a bomber gap at their base.