PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash at Orange Airport
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 15:25
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
Whether you like it or not, flying a training/checking ride at night adds an extra element of risk ---- simple fact.

This is why legitimate airlines will not conduct asymmetric or a number of other exercises in non-normal configuration at night, outside a simulator.

We have on the books some very serious/fatal accidents during training at night, that probably would have been less serious/wouldn't have happened at all, in daylight --- think Metro at Tamworth, light twin at Camden, just for two.

Glib statements like "the aeroplane doesn't know it night" do no more than reveal a distinct lack of understanding of risk management --- but we know there are no shortages of smart -a ---s (alecks) in aviation.

The fact remains that having to do a biennial flight review at night, not done anywhere else I know of , and introduced by CASA without, as far as I can find, any risk analysis/justification or directed consultation, adds an additional avoidable risk factor.

Is CASA going to demand night asymmetric in a twin for a biennial review. My advice to anybody who is confronted by such a demand is to flatly refuse, it is just not worth the additional risk.

As most of you probably don't know, there are a number of CASA FOIs whom, it has been alleged,(which means I could, but I will not, give identifiable examples) will not fly a night test of any kind in a single, I wonder why that is??

Tootle pip!!