PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 11:58
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1912 GMT position and why ?

[QUOTE=greg47;10149131..... But i suggest theres possibly an error in the earlier assumed position reports.Instead of Z there was use of local time(standard time for location) which certainly led to confusion with radio skeds. Her lapsed time to the Howland vicinity was 20 plus hours. [/QUOTE]

The 0518 GMT PR at CHOISEUL checks out to be close to that time. On previous forays into the "Plot" of laying it all out in MS Excel, the timing seemed to be that the Radio Tx at 0518 was made a few minutes "after" sighting a landmark at or on CHOISEUL Island . The 0718 GMT call is a different kettle of fish.... It Just does not work that the Lat/Long of the PR was at the time of 0718 GMT simply because the Groundspeed is "too low" in a quartering wind. There was obviously a NAV error there for to be so far off in Drift surely means that Noonan had assessed the wind strength incorrectly and my Vector diagram in the website shows this quite plainly.'

The real quandry, puzzle or enigma in the flight that I regards as the most important thing is why Earhart Tx'd that she "Must be on Howland" at 1912 GMT. On G/S alone on reaching the ONTARIO, it is obvious from my plot a G/S at the present selected "Cruising" TAS and Power setting is not going to get them to HOWLAND until around an ETA of 2036 GMT and yet as I showed in the last post, a Power application to produce an average G/S of 148 mph and an arrival at 1912 GMT is out of the question due to one: Fuel wasted and two: Engine operation in the extreme endangering the aircraft.

I have tried juggling previous FP times and changes to the ETA's in the knowledge of the G/S's achieved and I am beginning to think there was a foul-up in the form of a miscalculation. If anyone reading this thread has any idea as to why Erahart would call their closeness to Howland at 1912 GMT, I am all ears.

Last edited by David Billings; 17th May 2018 at 22:07.