PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 10:22
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asdf1234
I know everyone is working hard at Stobart to make the dream a reality but something is stopping the airlines from turning up. I have my view on what that something is but I'll open the floor to others to provide their insight.
I think that's a fair comment worthy of discussion, even though I don't agree with much of what you say in general.

I know the Monarch failure last autumn has been suggested as affecting SEN's ability to attract new operators this year and some here have scoffed at that as being just another excuse. Fair enough if you don't know the facts of the matter but I'm sure that two other operators would be present at SEN this summer, one of them in quite a big way, had Monarch's failure not released a substantial number of slots at two other LON airports. As far as other things are concerned which may be creating difficulties in attracting new operators I would suggest items 3, 7 & 11 from the Barling Magna list. I know for a fact that item 3 was the initial perception of one of the operator's who planned a SEN operation until Monarch's demise and it wasn't until their technical team visited that they appreciated the physical realities that were not apparent in the raw data. Item 7 is an intangible disincentive but I'm sure it will have had the effect of inducing caution to a greater extent than would otherwise currently be the case. Item 11 is something which I don't doubt has been a drag on SEN's attractiveness as it will be seen as making the task of maximising passenger numbers/revenue more difficult than it would otherwise be. Whether Greater Anglia have the desire, or can be persuaded by Stobart, to provide earlier and later trains within the 2019 timetable remains to be seen. I suppose if and when SEN reaches a certain critical mass coach services may also be on offer but we're probably some way off that yet.

I would add an item 13 which is the lack of a grooved runway which should preclude WET WET WET declarations in all but extreme situations. The supposed BBA surface does not seem to live up to its supposed performance in that regard and action on that is overdue in my opinion.