PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Pilots arrested Malta
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 20:14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I wanted to actually say was that these forums are open to view by anyone and that the Aussie will have to legalise his stay in Egypt or pack his bags, now that someone in some or other Ministry in Cairo has read this thread!!
A person working in a country without a valid work permit, apart from breaking the law of that country is taking a job that a local could do. Put another way, a local does not have a job as a result. Sound fair to you??
Not fair at all. Most reputable companies wouldnt employ somebody if he didnt have a work permit. The risk to the company is too great and the fines imposed by the government are too high! (Maybe this is not the case in Egypt..??)

I am sure you would be the first to winge if a foreigner, without a workpermit and paying no tax, stole a job that you thought you should have in your country.
The amount the company saves on pension and medical aid contributions by hiring an Aussie without a work permit would not be suffienct in my country in the event of the responsible goverment department finding out about the case. The insurance companies would also love it if something happened to the aircraft this Aussie was flying and they would be able to pull their necks out of the sling.