PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 FO windshield blowout
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2018, 01:40
shimin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: The crew: It is a great honor to ensure the safety of all passengers.
14th 8:30 P.M. Chengdu Business newspaper client reporter visit the two injured crew members, flight attendants Zhou Yanwen and copilot Xu Ruichen. At present, both two are in good condition without any serious issues. The two people on the hospital beds are in a good mental state, but the experience of breathtaking, two people still seem a little tired.
Zhou Yanwen: Believe us, don't worry, the crew has the ability to make everyone safe!
Zhou Yanwen said, now some pain in the waist, only lie rest. Colleagues rushed to the bed side to take care of. "At that time the attendants shouted, make the passengers assured that we can do it. ‘Don't worry, the flight crew has the ability to keep everyone safe!’”
Injured co-pilot Xu Ruichen: All is to be done.
Xu Ruichen says his physical condition is good, "feels good"
Xu Ruichen was born in 1991 and the shattered glass was in front of him. At present Xu Ruichen's body condition is quite good, "feels very good, the hearing has resumed”. For the praise of the hero, he says it should be done and all passengers should be safe. For the thrilling moment of his own suffering, he has not much to say.
By now 58 passengers continued to go to Lhasa after the accident and arrived safely. 29 passengers are in the hospital.
Captain Liu Shunjian: It is a great honor to ensure the safety of all passengers, thanks all for their concern and the great teamwork of all crew members.
My words here:
I am unable to insert photos here. The URL seems unavailable here.
Western China is the world's highest plateau, Chengdu is located in the famous Sichuan basin. Less than 50 kilometers the west side is surrounded by 4-5 km snow mountains while standard safe altitude for decompression is only 3km.
If you travel to Lhasa by plane, you will realize that these mountains seem to be just at your feet. At the time of the accident, the plane is located at the Mikos waypoint, with Mach 0.74-0.75. Of course, it is at 9800 meters cruise altitude, but the real clearance is only 3000 meters, so, I think that the Captain Liu chose to slow down first to get stable control rather than drop height is absolutely correct. In cases where automation is almost impossible to use, I do not think that complying with any written SOPs is a priority. Captain Liu is following the basic rule, Aviate, Navigate and Communicate. This is the first thing he learnt from student time. The crew didn't have time to run the check list first. So do the Sully and Shults who had no time to run completely the checklist. It is time to play airmanship. Of course, before landing, the crew completed the overweight landing checklist.
Finally, some posts so concerned about where the plane is made. I am sure that no matter the BA time or this incident, both the cockpits are not made by China.
No matter where the aircraft is made, no matter which country the plane belongs to, it does not affect my own salute to the flight crews and attendants. Just because here is called Professional Pilot Forum and Organization.

Last edited by shimin; 15th May 2018 at 01:51.