PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 18:38
Manx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of the jobs at the airport such as helping load bags and people in and out of a plane involve no significant skills or educational standards and so people are (rather crudely) "easy" to replace. As a result, those jobs are unlikely to be paid far above minimum wage. That's especially acute in an airport which relies on cheap labour to enable low cost flights. If the wages go up, the cost of using the airport goes up and so flight costs go up which would deter use. Lazy tabloid/Facebook generalisations about Eastern Europeans and immigration really won't change reality. As in any job, I would always recommend that anyone who's in a job that doesn't satisfy them in terms of finances or opportunities should either work harder to climb the ladder or try something else. I'd hate to think that any of my employees were so disparaging about their customers, it wouldn't be good for their motivation and that would surely have a negative impact on their level of output.

A lot of the Wizz flights I've been on "appear" (because I can't survey people) to have many immigrants coming to/from their country of birth, a lot of visiting families and a lot of Brits taking opportunities to travel cheaply to Eastern Europe for both business opportunities and leisure. Luton is a gateway to many Eastern European countries thanks to Wizz choosing to based its UK expansion out of Luton. Many Brits around London would rather use other airports because of Lutons long term reputation (not just recent construction impacts) - they're more savvy to the other choices available. London is a huge tourist destination to all travelling Europeans, like many of the other major European cities. With all of that in mind, I'd personally not be surprised if you noticed that Luton has a large number of foreign travellers.

"I don’t blame anyone for wanting a better life but it is a fact that companies bid for contracts based on offering the lowest pay and zero hour contracts in the knowledge that they will always find staff who would work for £3 an hour if there was no minimum wage."
Being safe "in the knowledge" that somebody might work for £3 per hour "if there was no minimum wage" isn't actually going to be a point of interest for any law abiding company who will, of course, know they must pay minimum wage even for basic jobs precisely because there IS a minimum wage.

I usually read this thread with interest but it does occasionally drift into Daily Mail comment section quality and people lazily dropping in "Eastern European" for no real reason. Like when somebody above posts that "Eastern Europeans" often smoke in that walkway outside the terminal. Based on my own experiences, the most specific term you could use to label these people is "passengers" because I've heard all sorts of accents, including many Brits, using that area to smoke. There's no need to specifically call out a section of those passengers and it actually adds nothing to the point that people, whoever they are, shouldn't be doing it.

I wouldn't be one of those people that pulls out the "r" word to label you people because I don't suspect you are that, it's just a reflection of the gutter into which the tabloids and "anti-MSM" warriors/brigade have purposely driven popular conversation into.