PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Captain Rape Claim Lawsuit Filed in Seattle
Old 14th May 2018, 08:27
Airbanda

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deltasierra010
What should an employer do in a case like this where there is no evidence, no criminal case, and no previous record of misbehavior, opinions please.
In UK best practice would be to hold an investigation in accordance with ACAS Guidelines. Where the offence alleged is as serious as this it would probably be carried out by HR or a senior manager rather than immediate line management.

Investigation would take statements from complainant and alleged offender and from any witnesses as to parties' behaviour eg at hotel diner, bar etc in period preceding. If there is, as suggested in other similar case mentioned on this board, hotel CCTV then I guess that could be seen too. Investigator will report to Management on his/her finding as to facts based on credibility of accounts and on balance of probability. If offence is proven employer will take action up to and including dismissal.

Employee can appeal internally and if that fails to an Employment Tribunal - effectively a court.

MAy be different in Canada or US depending on Federal or State law*.

Having recently witnessed a serious disciplinary at my own place of work around bullying and inappropriate behaviour (non sexual) the investigating officer needs to be somebody at the top of their game and be prepared to be totally independent regarding both the investigation and reputational damage to the employer.

EDIT * In originally posting I was unclear as to how far Canadian angle on this went. Now see clearly it's a US airline with local staff based at Seattle/Tacoma but alleged offence took place in Edmonton Alberta. Thus one assumes criminal investigation was in hands of Canadian city/territory or federal police. Employer investigation/discipline and Civil Action against airline as employer follows rules for appropriate State as influenced by any Federal provision.

Last edited by Airbanda; 14th May 2018 at 10:29.