PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KL809 diversion/Li Battery thermal runaway
Old 14th May 2018, 07:04
saffi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin luggage in the hol

Originally Posted by flyingbuyer
Long time lurker - first time poster. Although mere PAX and a frequent user of various European airlines due work, one thing I always find alarming is the practice (mainly on LoCos) of tagging cabin bags for the hold at the gate - whenever I witness this I seldom see any effort from gate staff to check whether any potential Lion nasties are removed from what is now effectively checked baggage. If something similar to what befell KL809 above, was to happen in someone's checked bag, couldn't the results have been far worse? Sometimes I wonder if this isn't the 'next big thing to go wrong' and whether it will take the loss of 000s of lives before something is properly done.
Had this happen ten days ago. All our cabin bags were tagged to go into the hold. I asked the ground crew: shouldn't we remove laptops etc? She looked at me sheepish and said, yeah, well sure you should.... So we were the only family stepping on board with our hands full of laptops, phones, loose li-ion batteries (I put them in a special plastic holder so they can't short), powerbanks, mobile speakers etc. With the five of us that's quite a big load of battery power that's not allowed to be in checked bags but was going to be put into the hold anyway. It didn't make me very comfortable on the flight.

Last edited by saffi; 14th May 2018 at 07:09. Reason: Typo