PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memphis Belle
Thread: Memphis Belle
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 02:50
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Fifi was at the "Historic Flight" museum at Paine Field about five years ago (we have four aircraft museums spread around Paine Field ). I wanted to take a ride but my wife objected to the cost (lesson learned - next time just don't tell her ). But I stopped there after work and for $10 I got a personal guided tour of Fifi that took close to an hour which was a pretty good consolation (I was literally the only visitor there at the time which was cool but also a little sad given it was a beautiful summer afternoon).

My first experience with the CAF was July 4, 1976 (it was known as the Confederate Air Force back then - before political correctness forced them to change the name). Somehow Colorado Springs had managed to book the CAF for the US Bicentennial weekend. I had a summer job driving a delivery truck for a car dealer in Pueblo - the preceding Friday I was driving around making a delivery when I heard that sound - I looked up and the CAF B-17, B-25, P-38, and P-51 were flying in formation overhead When I got home from work I asked my dad if we could go up to Springs for the show and he immediately agreed. Fantastic (I remember being shocked at how small the B-17 was in person - I'd always thought of it as a huge airplane after watching movies like "12-O'clock High".)