PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAR 121 Landing legality?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2000, 22:00
quid

411A-

I'm quite familiar with our Ops Specs, but just in case, I re-read every word today, but can't find anything that applies here. What specific paragraphs are you talking about? (Of course, our Ops Specs may be different than yours.)

As far as "planned diversions",... no way. That would involve hundreds of diversions each day, and each would require use of Capt's emergency authority. If it was planned, then we'd need an ammended release, and the ammendment would have to be in accordance with 121.195, so nothing would be gained.

royan-

121.195 states that "no person may takeoff.." It does NOT state that no person may takeoff 0R LAND...

I offer as support of my opinion a section from the 8400.10 (Air Carrier Inspector's Handbook) the following quote-

>> E. Application of Flight Handbook Performance Limits. Many of the requirements of Subparts I of Part 121 and Part 135 apply only until the aircraft takes off from the departure point. Other requirements from these Subparts apply at all times as do the AFM limitations. For example, FAR 121.195 and FAR 135.385 prohibit a large, turbine airplane from takeoff unless, allowing for enroute fuel burn, the airplane will be capable of landing on 60% of the available runway at the planned destination. The regulations do not, however, prohibit the airplane from landing at the destination when, upon arrival, conditions have changed and more than 60% of the runway is required. In this case, the airplane must only be able to land on the effective runway length as shown in the flight manual performance data. <<

What would be the reason for that paragraph, if not to clarify that 121.195 applies only to the "takeoff" requirement?