PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 15:52
Danny42C

Fonsini (#138),

Had very little time on them, only flew the Mk.7 (T); haven't got the Pilots' Notes; it was a very long time ago .......

But that said, from memory:

Meteor on one, 200 kts, fine, nearly as good as two, certainly would climb.

Meteor on one, wheels 'n flaps down, below 150 kts, all kinds of pig. With full rudder trim on, a chap with normal leg strength might do a go-around at a minimum of 125 kts, below that it was "Goodnight, nurse!"

Engine failure on "unstick" ? No hope, I would say, unless you'd accelerated to 130 kts, even then you'd be lucky.

Was a chap at Middleton-St-George, landed on one, saw he was running out of runway, decided to open up the live one and go-around. The thing bolted off onto the grass, described a graceful arc round the camp, first thing he hit was the window of his own room on the ground floor of the officer's Mess. The nose went in all right, but then the engines took out the supporting brickwork, the lintel fell on his head, and that was that.

The repaired brickwork was an object of interest for many years, the RAF station closed and became Teesside Airport (beg its pardon, the "Durham and Tees Valley" Airport). The Mess became the "George Hotel": it is said his ghost still haunts the West Wing.

That's all I know, there are plenty of other old-timers here who can put me right.

Danny.