PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 14:11
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by propertee64
Maybe Conso can help out if you send him the data?!
Would like to, but as a SLF most of the nitty gritty details understanding of aircraft performance needed is way out of my wheelhouse/cockpit. However, I am considering putting together a tabulation of say 4 to 6 equivalent non real world numbers to show the possible way of using solver for a multi variable problem

And I found an interesting reportfrom tighar which I do not know if david has seen. It does what appears to be a great simulation of kelly johnson report data re range, etc handled via differential equations ( lat time I was involved with those was about 65 yrears ago ,

http://www.mantaro.com/downloads/Ele...ia_Earhart.pdf

Modeling the Range Performance of the Electra 10E –
Amelia Earhart’s Aircraft
Contact Information
Mantaro Product Development Services, Inc.
20410 Century Blvd, Suite 120
Germantown, MD 20874
301-528-2244

About TIGHAR
The white paper presented here was developed in cooperation with The International Group for Historic
Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR). TIGHAR is a non-profit foundation dedicated to promoting responsible
aviation archaeology and historic preservation. It has been involved since 1988 in investigating Amelia
Earhart’s last flight. More information about TIGHAR and the Earhart Project can be found on the web
at TIGHAR.

Abstract
A computer model is developed to simulate the flight time, distance and fuel usage of the Lockheed
Electra 10E aircraft under arbitrary conditions and pilot inputs. The model is based on engineering data
contained in Lockheed’s Maximum Range Report prepared by Kelly Johnson and W. C. Nelson in 1936.
These data are used to develop a set of differential equations which are then integrated to compute the
aircraft’s state at regular intervals during the flight. The results of the computer model are compared
with the Lockheed’s original calculations and are found to be in agreement.

Notice Copyright © 2009 By David Wheeler
Permission to make digital or hard copies of all or part of this work for personal or classroom use is granted without fee provided
copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage and that copies bear this notice and the full citation on the
first page. To copy otherwise, to republish, to post on servers or to redistribute to lists, requires prior specific written permission.