PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Marine One Helis
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 08:08
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
"Financially it would seem that it is sometimes better to lose" - The EH101/Merlin/Cormorant/Kestrel has plenty of history in this area. The Canadians paid substantial liquidated damages when they cancelled the initial Merlin order, subsequently buying fewer Cormorants at a higher unit price. The RAF ended up with Merlin partially due to a reneged "understanding" during the Cold War that the RN would replace their ASW Sea Kings on a "1 for 1" basis. When the Peace Dividend was demanded, the ASW Merlin buy was capped at a significantly lower number - the RAF buy was a partial amelioration. There have been plenty of "on the bus / off the bus" over VVIP birds as well - I dare say that LH have extracted some "money for nothing" out of some of those....

Rotor-rooter, Just my take on watching the relative markets and talking to players at the like of HAI and through the consultancy work I do. S-92 is, to me at least, at a more attractive size/price point for Offshore/SAR work (especially if provided by a commercial organisation with an eye on the bottom line) whereas the bigger, more expensive Merlin is preferred by more Government purchasers who are less concerned with DOCs and resale. Just my opinion chap - be delighted to hear your thoughts!