PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Cessna Diesel Discontinued
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 06:13
Me_3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
It would be the fault of the owner and their expectations on hourly rate.
Or is that the market is not interested in paying a lease rate high enough to cover the investment and costs to keep such a machine running?

I've seen plenty of people decide to lease/rent an aircraft because its $20/Hour less, but then complain that it needs a paint job, or new avionics but don't want to cover the cost of them..
Or people decide to buy an aircraft "because they got it cheap" but didn't factor the cost of the engine that needs replacing in a few hundred hours, then they send it to a local shop (against advice) and winge and complain when it cost an extra $10000 more than the initial quote because of the extra parts that were needed... (which the factory just wears when you get a factory motor).

Not being nasty, but most owners just want to take the cheap way out, and at the moment avgas powered 172/182's are just cheaper than the diesels for the average private buyer.
And from an operators point of view, there are not enough advantages to make us spend that sort of money for converting an aircraft that won't lift as much as a stock aircraft.