PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 12th May 2018, 14:23
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aterpster, I think I read somewhere that they didn't have GPS. Is the Airbus non-GPS RNAV system so accurate that it would be "perfectly aligned"? Further, I doubt their SOP would have allowed autoflight, in LNAV, down to 100ft, especially at night.

Again, only the crew will know: PF went manual flight some nm's out from touchdown. There has been discussion that they programmed the FMC for a 'Bridge visual approach' (I think). Going manual would they leave the FD's ON. If so they would be linked to the FMC. So when they lined up with the taxiway the lateral mode FD might/should have been showing a strong 'fly left'. Equally the magenta line would have been off to the left. And my earlier comments about the PAPI's for 28R being well off to the left is still valid. It would seem there were lots of clues. Curious. I can't believe 2 pilots would fly an approach from 3-4nm without some scan inside. Perhaps AB operators of this older model can help here.