PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2018, 16:48
nvubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I understand it, the expulsion of Asians was only of those who did not hold a Ugandan passport. I know a number who stayed on throughout the Amin times - including one you may have met as he worked at the airport - Arthur DeMello. However, as families had split nationalities, some with British, some with Indian and some with Ugandan passports, most took the root of everyone leaving. I lived in Uganda from 1994-2005, so missed the interesting earlier times.Idi Amin was still quite well regarded in Uganda when I was there, and he was extremely supportive of sports, whereas since then there has been very little support.

I was there when the Chinese built the new Namboole National sports stadium, and being involved in sports, I was invited to the opening ceremony. However, this had to be postponed when a week or so before the opening it was discovered that the stadium hadn't been built with any toilets.

It is Kololo Airstrip - still called that by everyone today. Here's a GE overhead from 2002.

This is the video

Last edited by nvubu; 11th May 2018 at 17:07.