PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek Cargo Fire
Thread: Ek Cargo Fire
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 15:45
wagtail23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ...just to add another rumour...

Please bear in mind that this is a RUMOUR........

The three bags in question were UNSCREENED diplomatic bags.....

...and that once on the ground and the cargo door was opened, the addition of oxygen caused the fire to restart......

So the basic premise to my way of thinking, particularly with a fire, is that while there is a chance of it being a faulty indication, as the aircraft commander you have to make a decision (although some companies obviously think that you should discuss it with them first).

I think it should be highlighted that the Operations Controller you speak to (the Senior Management Network Control or SMNC in this case) may not be, and certainly in EK's case, is not a pilot. (Would a pilot really authorise a single engine ferry from 2 hours out of DXB to return when ECAM states in Amber, LAND ASAP)

The over reliance of an Operations Controller to make your decision for you is inexcusable; should you really get that extra pay if all you do is delegate your responsibility to someone on the end of a SatPhone??

Take the information you are presented with, decide what you want to do, set it up and get going in the right direction and then if time permits, talk to operations and inform them of your decision and glean any pertinent information you can to help with your case....

...but please don't ask them what you should be doing

Better safe than sorry, wouldn't you agree?

PS just my opinion!!