PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2018, 15:00
nvubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be very pedantic, there were THREE airstrips in Kampala (that I know of), traces of all are still visible - all within 2 miles of the centre - which one would this be?

I've been looking for old photos of all three for the past few years, when I came across the video of this one a couple of days ago. I was stopped by the police on it - a bit to the left of the photo, when I drove onto it with a Ugandan colleague showing him what a fine location for a set of sports pitches could be built on it. I had missed a tiny no entry sign fixed to a bush - he was bricking himself when the Police stopped us.

I think Mr Obote brought his fate upon himself, to be ousted by military coup not once, but twice!
The colonial houses in Uganda were by far the best build quality.

When you stayed at Lake Vic had they moved the entrance round the back? Spent my last few nights in Uganda there before moving back to the UK in 2005. Was owned by Gaddafi at that time I think.

In my second independence day picture, the crested crane can just be seen on the Union Flag being lowered.