PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEL Tower — Go Slow?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2018, 14:20
sunnySA

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
Having to get off at an exit may require full reverse thrust and heavier braking. That delays engine cool down and takes longer before you can shut one down on taxi in. A roll through (and idle reverse) decreases the cool down time by up to three minutes. That’ll save 30kg a go. It’ll save wear and tear on both brakes and engine. I can’t quantify those numbers.
I realise that there was a lot of variable, unless there is tailwind then I would think its unlikely that you'll need to use full reverse thrust and heavier breaking to make the rapids at either A2 or B9. Perhaps you need to review your exit speeds on this taxiways and get the call in to Ground so that they can you the cross or the taxi via if they need to park you a further distance from the apron. I'd like to keep the punters moving at a consistent but slower pace (the illusion of movement) rather than hurry up and wait. I'll be changing my control practices immediately to "hurry up and wait".

Sorry, its a thread drift but I think it highlights were are even further away from a common understanding, common purpose and common application.

As my colleague said all those years ago "don't trust pilots", was he wrong, many days he was 100% correct.

Last edited by sunnySA; 13th May 2018 at 06:57. Reason: grammar