PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF security film
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2018, 03:05
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I understand it was the CAS at the time who insisted he was investigated and publically removed from Main Building, amidst allegations of yet more leaks from the Fifth Floor. As colleagues we were horrified by the way he was treated - and were instructed by ACAS not to contact him. Several of us met him for a beer at Borough Market and were carpeted as a result.

What was venal was the way very senior officers threw another officer on the tracks in order to ingratiate themselves with the political leadership, to show they were being stern amidst allegations of the service chiefs briefing against the ministers. They missed the point that he had been the victim of a theft; almost to a man we handed in our DII laptops as we didn't want the risk of being treated in a similar manner.

I ran into the officer concerned recently at an air show; he's done well and after two hardship tours with the FCO he looks back and laughs at the MOD and it's introspection. I have to agree; it would make ideal material for a film on the perils of being a staff officer!

As a post script, a senior civil servant was convicted of misconduct in public office for selling stories to the media. Bettina Jordan Barber - who sold my colleague's details and mobile phone number to the Sun - had received £140,000 in payments and served a 12 month custodial sentence as a result. Her husband is still serving.