PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2018, 11:36
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also forgot to mention previously, when we flew back from Athens last Thursday, a few other observations I noticed at Luton at around 2.30pm...

Have they shrunk the aircraft parking bays? When we parked in one of the bays which was facing the back of the original pier (behind the 6 pack apron), I noticed how close the wings of our A321 were to a TUI 737 next to us, and was only about four meters clearance from each wing tip on the left side.

I thought the pilot had parked off centre, but when walking across to the terminal he was bang on the centre line. Never seen such close-up parking to other aircraft at other airports, by having such small bays, they are limiting the aircraft they can handle! But I guess when 95% of the traffic is A320 family and 737's, this is not going to be an issue.

Also when we landed on runway 26, we taxi'd off and was held up for at least 15 mins queuing to access the taxiway which goes past the 6 pack apron, and held waiting by the remote stands near to the runway and parallel taxiway. All due to 2-3 aircraft being reversed from the stands on the 6 pack apron, as they now seem to reverse right out on to the taxiway, outside the apron. In the time we was waiting there was aircraft queuing at the old apron access point with 3-4 aircraft trying to go out to runway 26 and 3-4 further aircraft having also landed behind us and stuck waiting on the taxiway too.

Is congestion on the apron and taxiways now common place and what happened to the one way system on the Apron? I always used to be impressed with the quick runway to gate times.