PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 10th May 2018, 02:00
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smott999
SLF here - since GA can occur for all sorts of reasons , is it not normal or even required to describe the cause of the GA? As mentioned it could be something outside the crew's control such as weather....in this case it was a mis-alignment resulting in near-miss.

Good question. In years past many carriers would require a report to be submitted to the airline if a go-around was done. As a result, some folks would go to extremes trying to salvage a bad approach in part to avoid some paperwork. Old-timers here on PPRuNe would sometimes brag that they never had to do a go-around not ordered by the tower.

It was realized that the failure to go-around in an attempt to 'get it on the ground' no matter what had caused avoidable accidents. The no-fault go-around became policy whereby no paperwork or explanation was required for the missed approach.

Even if no report is required (I don't know if that is the case at Air Canada), the tower will usually ask the reason for the go-around. 'We didn't meet our stable approach criteria' is normally a good answer. If you say you encountered windshear on final, you'd better make sure you filed the required w/s report. I know all this sounds like CYA but it is the reality of the modern closely monitored cockpit work environment.

Now, about that missing CVR...

As I speculated earlier on this thread:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
The AC crew probably has a policy to pull the Cockpit Voice Recorder circuit breaker and make a logbook entry for maintenance to remove the CVR after a 'reportable' incident. Did they? I wouldn't be surprised if they 'forgot' to do this based on some other incidents of this type.

Canada is a little behind the times on CVR legislation by their own admission. The CVR has been added to the shutdown checklist at many places in the U.S. after a rash of 'accidental' failures to pull the CB after an incident.

The tower controller says that the Air Canada captain was shaken up when he called the tower from the gate. The claim that he didn't know that the incident was serious seems unlikely to me.

Anybody from the Great White North know if Air Canada has any guidance in their books about preserving the CVR after a significant event?