PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is making the money out of the $225 million GPS upgrade - SBAS?
Old 10th May 2018, 00:01
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Who is making the money out of the $225 million GPS upgrade - SBAS?

I am starting a new thread as this is a completely different issue.

You may remember the thread I started “Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS” where this statement was made in the Minister’s press release:

“A spokesman for the Infrastructure and Transport Minister Michael McCormack said an SBAS had “the potential to transform air transport in remote and regional Australia.””
On that thread, OZBUSDRIVER stated:

“150 million is bs”
OZBUSDRIVER was implying that I was exaggerating the amount. In fact, it is even more than I had thought - it is actually $225 million.

Now don’t get me wrong – I have always said that it is great technology, but I’m really interested in finding out who is going to benefit from this enormous amount of money? It is clear that someone has the potential to make millions of dollars out of this. Someone managed to get this amount of money without a proper cost benefit study.

Surely we have to get them to spruik to the Government to get some assistance for the flight training and engineer training industries.

At the same time the RFDS is mentioning the huge advantages for them, I have heard that now they will be looking for pilots from overseas using 457 visas.

Just 10% of this amount (say, $22.5 million) could completely revolutionise the flight and LAME training industries in Australia, however there is not a hint that the present Minister is looking at this in any way.

So I ask here. It is quite clear you should follow the money trail. Someone is going to make a motza out of this I would imagine. Who is it? They probably have the best lobbyists in the world. We need to get them into assisting the training industry.