PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First UK - France flight
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2018, 14:26
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaUK
"So an automatic life-jacket is a lot better than nothing..."

I've done a sea-survival course and have more time on yachts than in aircraft. Beware using an automatic life jacket. In fact, don't. If you ditch and the aircraft is submerged before you can escape, your lifejacket will inflate and make it damn near impossible to exit the aircraft. Some lifejackets have a facility to disable the automatic mechanism. You will still be left with the option to pull the toggle to inflate the life jacket, Automatic life jackets are used by sailors because one can be knocked overboard by the boom of a yacht and end up unconscious - so the automatic mechanism inflates the life jacket for them. If you are unconscious in an aircraft after it hits the water, I'm afraid you have bigger issues than losing the automatic inflation.

Try to use a life jacket which incorporates a spray-hood. It's a simple screen that you pull over your head (after you are in the water) to protect you from spray as you breathe. It's a life-saver that adds only a few pounds to the cost.

You should be carrying a PLB anyway (unless your aircraft has an ELT). That too is a life-saver if you ditch. Falmouth would coordinate your rescue and can communicate with vessels in your area, With the Channel as busy as it is, you stand a reasonable chance of being picked up. Someone mentioned a handheld transceiver. A marine VHF transceiver would be more useful if you have access to one. Ships and yachts all listen on Ch16 (the marine equivalent of 121.5).
Very good point, Charlie Delta UK. Got carried away by the RYA guidance. In fact, I do not think my flying life-jackets are automatic but I will double-check!

That's the value of this forum- you learn something new all the time.