PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 17:32
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Cows

I cannot speak for the volunteer force, except to sympathise with their plight. These people gave their time freely only to be royally shat upon.

But I can offer personal experience on
how do you get out of the mess without available cash?
What may at first be a limitation, can easily become a constraint if allowed to fester. This case is a good example.
From what little I know, when this glider problem was identified it was a limitation. Clearing it should be self-tasked by the most junior civil servant engineer in the Service HQ. You don't need telling. It's a line item in your TORs. When in that position many moons ago (on avionics), it was a routine expectation that I find that money, from underspends or offsets. (I think £22M was the most I had to find at the drop of a hat). Effectively, it was an in-year project, but without the nause of submissions and approvals. Far less hassle than a UOR. There is a Def Stan that is the bible. Write down the problems, and find where they're mentioned. (And the WILL be). Read, and implement.
Admittedly, I didn't have to deal with a Middleton. Usually it was Commander (Air) at a Typed Air Station. But the principles are the same. You're there to help, and I've never come across anyone who wasn't on-side. From a civvy's perspective, that is a good system. If you do come across a Middleton, you find yourself with an address book full of contacts, many senior to him. It may seem odd to a serviceman within a strict rank structure, but "You're standing into danger" and a half page briefing is usually enough. In short order, he's called his (real) #2, the Charge Chief. Almost certainly he already knows of the problem and solution, but the Service culture has made it difficult to raise at a high enough level to authorise resources and red tape cutting. But now, #1 is telling him to crack on. He gladly does the work, as he's now got top cover and resources. I guarantee those on gliders will be nodding sagely.
Now, tell me why today's PTs and the MAA can't do this. Starter for ten. None of them have ever experienced a word of what I've said.